I’ve been in a whirlwind lately; new house, new job, crazy schedules, turning 30 years old, celebrating 10 years of marriage and then of course always trying to fit in a vacation in here and there. So, I cannot complain! Although it’s been crazy; life is good!
With this being said, I haven’t really been cooking a lot of new recipes lately, we mainly stick to cooking on the grill and then of course going out to eat in all the local summer bars & restaurants, as you know Italy is famous for all their little outdoor places to eat and/or drink that open up just for the summer (as we live in a beach town) so we are taking advantage of that. And then we just celebrated our 10 year anniversary in Mykonos, Greece. It was amazing.
The reason I wanted to write a post about how to stay thin during summer vacation is simply because I know that the summer is awesome, but also a time were you tend to gain weight. I know they say that you gain weight during the winter, but I really think that it varies, because during the summer you enjoy a few more cocktails, you eat later, you stay out later and you just try to have a little more fun while enjoying the beautiful weather.
Like I mentioned earlier, we celebrated our 10 year anniversary recently (actually July 12th, so just a few days ago). And, just got back from Mykonos where I think is the first time I lost weight during a vacation. No, I don’t know how much as I didn’t weigh myself, but my clothes fit looser and I feel great. I didn’t at all change what I ate and just stuck to what I generally do at home, I might of had wine every night but that’s all I changed I promise. It got me thinking that if you stick to what you do everyday and don’t act like you were starving this whole time and use your vacation as your time to overeat, you might just be in for a pleasant surprise.
So here are a few tips for how you can try to stay yourself without sacrificing on anything all the while still enjoying your summer.
- Stay Hydrated. Drink water!! During the summer your body tends to bloat because you retain fluids due to the heat. If you stay hydrated your body will automatically de-bloat and you’ll feel a whole lot lighter. And your skin will glow too! Besides water helps your body naturally detox, so do it!
- Eat your greens and your proteins. Make or Order a nice salad and add chicken, or shrimp. This will help your body detox and keep your digestion on track so that you don’t get bloated. It also makes you full faster, making you eat less. Causing you to not have to not eat crap!
- Have yourself a snack made of pure watermelon. Yes, believe me watermelon is ridiculously hydrating and super filling. It goes through your system so fast and you’ll feel so light. Same goes for Pineapple! Eat this if you crave anything sweet and do yourself a wonderful favor.
- Workout! I worked out 5 days out of the 7 days during the vacation and I felt awesome. I mean I am on vacation to feel good not to feel bad. So, if I feel good while I workout then why give it up on vacation? To me working out is not a chore it’s a pleasure and I feel great after I complete it. So, workout!
- Soak for 20-30 minutes in an Epsom Salt bath! This should be at the top of the list. You wanna know one of the secrets of thin people? This is it! You soak in Epsom Salt and you will feel energized, relaxed, tight & fabulous. Try it and then tell me what you think.
- Yes… you can drink. Opt for white wine. Try to stay away from all those sugary drinks and if you still want them, then please make sure to drink 2 glasses of water after each of them, thus trying to flush out the sugar and helping your whole system stay on track.
- Don’t eat just cause it’s free or included. I see people shoving food down their throats simply because it’s free or included and I think that you are better than a free binge that will cause you to feel horrible the next day. If you are hungry then eat; but stop overeating just because it’s there. You’re without a doubt going to feel horrible the next day, or even later. I ate only what I really wanted when I wanted (isn’t that what vacation is all about?! Only that! and I was really impressed to notice that I actually loved this vacation because I didn’t go on a vacation to come back and have to go on a diet. I went on a vacation to come back feeling relaxed and glowing. So be mindful of what you eat.
These are a few of my tips. They are nothing crazy, they are not hard but they truly are so simple and so easy to follow that you will wonder why you haven’t done them all this time. Remember a vacation is something you wait for all year to feel good. Not something you wait for all year to feel horrible. Stay connected to your body and mind and you’ll truly have an amazing summer! We are beautiful creatures and we deserve to always: no matter what the circumstance, to feel that way. Have a wonderful Summer!